Info, Contacts & Booking
Phone: +39 347 6891821
Fax: +39 0544 521514
This Web site is made in collaboration between “Guide and Co” and viaggioinromagna.it
Text and images can be used only with a previously agreed with the authors.
ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED
The writing tablet
The alfalfa archeology
The craft of the archaeologist
Digging a tomb
Painting on wooden board
We organize permanent thematic laboratories, targeted at both schools and adults, with the aim of experimenting in a personalized way the discovery of cultural goods.
Our workshops are directly linked to the historical and artistic peculiarities of the Ravenna area, but the proposal also extends to activities aimed at developing creativity and manualism.
The labs allow you to read fascinatingly the artistic and cultural heritage; Students can then complete and deepen the topics discussed in the lab through guided tours.
These pathways provide all the information necessary to interpret the cultural and historical reasons that have led to their presence, thus deepening and developing the knowledge gained through the laboratory experience.
HISTORY OF RAVENNA
The origins of Ravenna fade into legend.
In ancient times the Po Delta was much wider forming a lagoon of swampy entanglements which occupied great part of the Easter Emilian territory.
Ravenna originated during the prehistory on one of the many small island found in the lagoon. It was a village built wholly of wood on pile foundations and was, most probably, inhabited by the Umbrians and subsequently by the Etruscans.
The oldest historical information about the town are to be found around the II century B.C. when most of the Po Valley was colonized by the Romans and thus Ravenna became a Roman city.
During that time the lagoon, with its numerous small islands of sandy dunes was connected to the town by means of natural streams and canals and thus guaranteed the population safety while at the same time access to dry land.
Augustus built the military port of Classis destined to be the principal base of the Eastern Mediterranean fleet. Later the swamps were dried up and subsequently the towns of Classis and Ravenna were surrounded by strong walls. Some of these walls can still be seen to-day.
Ravenna became a storm-proof fortress and obtained a notable importance for the defence of the Empire.
The most important period in Ravenna’s history begins in 402 A.D. when it becomes the Capital of the Western Roman Empire. It was during this time that most of its major and most famous monuments were erected.
Bell tower of Ravenna(clic to enlarge)
Ravenna in “Tabula Peutingeriana”(clic to enlarge)
Extract from Maurizio Mauro, 2000, “Walls, Gates and Towers of Ravenna”
In 476 the Roman Empire fell and Odoacer took on the title of King of Italy choosing Ravenna as his base.
In 493 Ravenna was occupied by Theoderic and it was during his reign that Ravenna reached its maximum splendour.
In 540 the Byzantine army entered the town under the command of Belisarius thus ending the reign of the Goths.
Under the influence of the new Emperor Justinian, who hoped to unite East and West both politically and culturally, the city lived another period of grandeur and that was the period when Ravenna surpassed Rome in magnificence, beauty and splendour but when Justinian fell Ravenna went into a slow but inevitable decline.
Many centuries followed during which Ravenna had to undergo feudal wars, domination by Archbishops, Lords etc.
From 1431 to 1500 the town passed under Venetian domain when the all Romagna became part of the Holy See and Ravenna was deprived of its cultural identity.
The construction of the Corsini Canal and the opening of the port reconnected the town to the Adriatic Sea. The name Corsini was given to the port by pope Clement XII which was pope during that time.
In 1849 the port helped Garibaldi’s escape when he was being pursued by the Austrians.
On 13 June 1859 Ravenna revolted against the domain of the church and in March 1860 the town was reunited to the motherland.
After the unification of Italy things did not change much for the town until it was rebuilt after the War.
During the XX century the town expanded in all directions as new residential and industrial neighbourhoods were built.
Ravenna is only second to Rome in its territorial expansions.